Lithuanian farmers’ Union (LFU) was established in 1919 and was running its activity until the Soviet occupation in 1940. The first chairman of LFU was Aleksandras Stulginskis who later was elected as the President of Lithuanian Republic. The first statutes of LFU were registered on the 20th December 1919.
In 1989 the Union’s reestablishment was initiated by: lecturers of Lithuanian Academy of Agriculture A. Paštukas, prof. J. Čiulevičius, M. Treinys, A. Baležentis, V. Ramanauskas, a farmer J. Miliauskas, director of Vėžaičiai department of Lithuanian Agricultural Institute V. Knašys, a lawyer E. Grakauskas and others. The organization had its branches in each state district where farmers and persons interested in agriculture could become members of LFU. After the state independence was reestablished, LFU was the organization that helped farmers to adapt to constantly changing surroundings, represented farmers’ interests, and encouraged people to run agricultural activity.
The first LFU Congress was convened in February 1989. It gathered a lot of active Lithuanian farmers who have become well known and best farmers today.
When the land reform was started Lithuanian Farmers’ Union together with Lithuanian Association of Agricultural Companies and the Ministry of Agriculture established the Lithuanian Agricultural Advisory Service on the 1st June 1993.
Colleagues from different European countries helped LFU to develop and strengthen. The most significant input has been made by Swedish Farmers’ Federation (LRF).
In 2004 the law of associations was released and since then LFU started operating under this law. At present Lithuanian Farmers’ Union has its headquarters and 42 district branches. Membership within the organization is held through the district branches.